Wednesday 16 March 2011

"Why don't you be the writer and decide the words I say?"




I've died and gone to heaven with these notebooks. I've been looking for a new journal  for ages and I initially had my heart set on a leather-bound one, but I fell in love with these at first sight in a random little boutique in South London. The lovely pinky-purple one hilariously says "I could've been a novel" and it's by Waldo Pancake. I've checked out the rest of their stuff and it's all in the same dry humour vein.

The second notebook is literary orgasmic; it's by Penguin and it's covered in the spines of old-school Penguin classics. Everybody who knows me knows that I adore books and these totally capture my essence. I've been meaning to do more writing and now I absolutely have no excuse. I'm a weirdo and I've decided to only write in my Penguin one with my fountain pen (don't ask). I'll feel more refined as I write complete and utter nonsense....


Asking me to pick my favourite novel is like asking a mother to pick her favourite child; I just can't do it! My reading habits change with my moods but some of my favourite/ most memorable novels are:

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
The Handmaiden's Tale- Margaret Atwood
I Capture the Castle- Dodie Smith
Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe
Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card
The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini
Purple Hibiscus- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


I could go on and on but let me stop here before things get out of hand. I adore classic literature and postcolonial literature (talk about being on opposite ends of the literary scale) but I will devour some Chick Lit whenever the mood strikes me! Life's too short to to be restrictive so I like to read whatever happens to interest me at the time. Sometimes it's heavy, sometimes it's fluff but as long as I'm reading I'm happy.

Hello to my new followers. What do you like to read (or write)? Don't be shy, I don't bite!


Love, life and Mr. Darcy

Domzy x

3 comments:

  1. These notebooks are so so so perfect! I'll like to line them in my shelves and pretend they are actual books. Sometimes I write about events too private to put on a blog. Sometimes I think of a person I haven't seen for a long time and revisit the memories I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a proper floor to ceiling bookcase in my house one day and I could easily hide these there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love reading as well...
    when i completed a killer course work
    i bought myself four novels to celebrate
    my friends think i need help
    oh well lool
    doasbg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave your pearls of wisdom here!